Sunday, November 19, 2006

Letting go

Last post I mentioned that maybe I need to stop worrying about reading all the anti-civ stuff I can, and I agree with that. One of the skills I think it's important to cultivate is acquiescence to circumstances, and the need not to control everything. With a barrage of posts on many of the blogs I read, I've had a hard time keeping up, and feel weighed down trying to keep pace. But that's not necessary. I'll read things, or not, but it shouldn't be obligatory.

When I was in school, I was an overachiever typically and had lots to say. I raised my hand near constantly and often felt frustrated if I couldn't say what I wanted to say. Now, this isn't an apologia for the awful and dehumanizing school system, but that experience eventually brought some wisdom. Namely, we can't always get what we want and that's probably a good thing. I'm not in favor of self-denial, and I think that, left to our own devices, people are not typically bloodlusting and in need of control. But control is ahttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.giflso one of the cornerstones of empire, and an appreciation for its downsides is important, I think.

Also, I realized that reading all this stuff all the time puts me in a bit of a bubble, and it's important to reach outward and gain new insight from alternate sources. And not even necessarily reading right-wing popaganda, but just simply authors and ideas that are not of the same milieu. So I'm working on that, including reading 'The Godfather's Revenge,' Mark Weingardner's new interquel in the Godfather series. It's good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I go through periods when I read constantly, and I think it's for that sense that there are others who don't accept the civilized way of living, but also to feel as if I'm doing something even if it's only learning, broadening, and challenging what I think I know. There are so many provocative ideas out there that I wish I had time to read them all, but I don't. I don't even begin to keep up with my blogroll.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Archangel said...

Thanks for commenting Sara!

I think you're right- even if it is just expanding personally, that's worthwhile work to be done.

PS- I hope you and your family are doing well!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home