Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lull

There's been one hell of a lull in much of the anti-civ blogging corner of the world that I inhabit. Ran's solid, and has regular material, and Marcy's also got lots of insights to share. Same for Sara. But Casey down by the river is gone, Free Range Ted is gone, none of the Anthropik folks have posted much in a long time. Jack Trace has been gone since before 2007, Devin's not had much to post recently, and Frank Black's had only a handful of posts since the new year. And Dan, too, has been transitioning and not posting much.

I'm no better. I guess it's just that sort of season, when those of us in wintertime want to hibernate and are generally less active. It could also just be that we're collectively moving through these ideas, and feeling our way toward other avenues of exploration.

---
I read a book recently, Pig Perfect, which was pretty interesting. Food's been a important issue to me since before I began writing this thing, and I'm getting around to a lot of interesting material. This one's pretty good- the author writes mostly well, and always retains my attention. He covers a lot of topics, some with less élan than others. I felt he was a little clunky when he started talking anthropology, but he did pull out some good points. I guess Charles Mann makes similar points, but this guy, Peter Kaminsky discusses how much of what conquering Europeans saw as wild nature in the Americas was actually nature out of balance. Mann talks about the role the Amerindians played in shaping the physical environment here, but Kaminsky looks especially at the role of large mammals like buffalo. He cites a researcher who suggests that the vast forested canopy was not the 'climax community,' but the result of the decimation of ecosystem altering big game.

What I thought was kind of interesting was that, if this were true, maybe this culture isn't acting so terribly out of place. This is only a half-formed idea, but maybe the continued existence of more open grassland environments which were punctuated by thick forests in between, suggests that some guiding force is at work to make things not go terribly awry.

But then again, I don't even have my facts straight, and the grasslands might well be not the same regions as old forests, and in nay event, the buffalo are still gone, the indigenous humans are still gone, everything is poisoned and we're collectively miserable and violent. So whatever the guiding force is that may be helping us in some ways, it also is letting us work through the consequences of many of our other choices.

One other thing that I've noticed a lot in some food-oriented books that look at agriculture's emergence: the authors often talk about how domestication just came about naturally and was an extension of the relationship the farmer-to-be and domesticated animal-to-be already had. It's not always explicit, but it's often implied. It seems a convenient way to skirt the fact that 90% or more of human history (depending on who you define as human) was non-agricultural, and to thus recuperate agriculture as something that's part and parcel of being human.

I mean, fine, I eat domesticated animal foods, as well as domesticated plant foods, and some wild forms of each, so I'm not saying that it's necessarily bad for you or that there aren't ways to do it better. But let's be honest- most of our food traditions, if you take an honest and long look at it, didn't involved substantial dairy, unfertilized eggs, grains or beans, and had minimal to no processing, at least not of the sort we see today.

It's just so duplicitous when authors like Nina Planck criticize paleo diet advocates, and hoodwink the reader's sense of context by making 10,000 years seem like such a longe time. I mean, no doubt, it is, and it's probably hard for most of us to consider taht sort of era. But don't ignore the legitimate point that, next to 990,000 years, 10,000 actually doesn't look like so much.

Anyway, much love, y'all.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ted Heistman said...

I'm not dead or anything.

How's it going? I had to delete my blog, because I am a monarchist, now.

Can't very well be a monarchist and an anarchist now can I?

Seriously though, I'm a pro-civ monarchist.

But I still love most of the same things, like truth and beauty, and hate the same things, like subdivsions and American Cheese, as I did before when I thought I was a Green anarchist.

So it's not so strange really.

But just so you know I am still around. I have a new blog called "wounded Kings"
http://woundedkings.blogspot.com

I have been hanging out at Pop Occulture a lot too. But I needed to get my own blog again.

Take care man.

Ted/Theo

5:58 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

BTW,

Good insights. On the Buffalo/blance etc.

A lot of forests don't have a lot of habitat in them.

Plus here is an idea:

Maybe farm animals in small family type farms are happy. Maybe its not agriculture per se that sucks its agriculture out of balance, the extreme end of that being the facotory farm.

Just a thought, but really though animal husbabdry can be seen as living in a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship with other organisms.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

so are you dumbstruck or somthing that I would embrace the idea of monarchy?

Its actually pretty compatible with ecology. You would have a monarchy with absolute authoruty protecting the environment.

Green anarchy is contradictory.

It almost assumes that everyone wants whats best for the natural environment but we are all held captive by evil industrialists, when in reality democracy and capitalism go hand in hand.

The majority want all the crap multinationals make and they freely choose it.

well anyway "Hi."

5:48 PM  
Blogger Archangel said...

Hi ted,

I wasn't ignoring you so much as I just haven't had the energy to deal with this blog. I've been sick, working a new job that has me waking up an hour and a half earlier than I had been, and then without internet access at home since I just moved. so please don't take it personally.

I've spent some time thinking about whether we live in an age of decay and maybe it's not the institutions in general that are so bad (agriculture, civilization), but their decayed state. I had a post about that a little while ago. And I don't have a good answer to that, but I suspect that the problem runs deeper and that these problems are more than superficial. But i don't know.

I don't know if I so much love 'truth and beauty,' since very often they seem abstracted to me when people talk about them, like Platonic forms, rather than grounded experiences. To the extent that that is not the case, I can jive.

The problem I see with monarchy and environmental protection is that it assumes that humans, and especially a single human (that's monarchy, right?) know enough about the 'natural world' to adequately ptotect it. I think there's far mroe complexity there than we recognize and our attempts to control and protect it are bound to come up short. The other thing is, it's not our to contol. We are family members just like all the otehrs here, and we have our roles to play and our lives to lead, and sometimes that incolved direction and guidance, but not in an sbsolute way. That's one of the fundamental problems with agriculture, as I see it: all the empirical problems aside (the decline in health that resulted, the facilitation of population growth and resource use intensification, and you wprobably won't be with me on this, but its faciliation of hierarchy)- all of those aside, it is a fundamentally antagonistic set of practices in relation to the natural world. It replaces what nature has set up with something that is humanly managed and controlled. And the problem isn't just that that's philosophically wrong, it's that it takes an enormous amount of energy to fight the ebb and flow of nature. Wildness is always present and always degrading man-made creations. So much of the energy spent on activity in this culture is energy spent fighting back encroaching wildness- applying psticides, mowing the lawn, maintaining the roads, etc etc. It's not only arrogant and offensive to do this, but it's a ridiculous waste of energy. And the way that energy is contionually invested in these actions that fight back wildness is by the threat or reality of force- slavery or economic coercion.

I can see why you think green anarchy is a contradiction, though is astounds me that you can now so thoroughly dismiss those groups of people who lived it. I guess tehy just didn't realize their ontology was contradictory. i think what you're doing is working after the fact at the way humans act and behave in this context and applying it to a context without civilization. Marshall Sahlins has this qute about projecting modern man's' desires onto foragers and recognizing the lack of industry and so forth, resigning foragers to an existence fo needy deprivation. I think you're doing a similar thing psychology, and i think that non-civilized mental states are far more conducive to noncivilized life than you seem to think.

Now the question remains open as to why this all began, and became ascendent, and I don't know. Maybe we did move irrevocably to this altered mind-state and you're right, we can't go back and green anarchy, aside from those few pockets left of hiunter-gatherers, is a contradiction. But the deep dissatifaction felt by so many people, physically, psychologically, socially and ecologically, suggests to me that there's a part of us that longs for the balanced life that we evolved to expect.

Anyway- hi to you as well, and thanks for stopping by!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Ted Heistman said...

well, here are a couple things:

I am curious about monarchy. I am not sold on it. Its a lot older than democracy. I think the leadership is archetypal and symbolic and serves the community more than simply as a clever way for an elite group of people to have jewels.

But besides all that-that's not really important.

About this age of decay-What if the world right now is like a bulb, that looks decayed on the outside but is fresh and vital on the inside and ready to pop out and bloom?!?

I tend to think nature is not asleep at the wheel and that there are great things in store for humanity.

Consider this-Maybe G@ is reactionary?

Maybe this impulse to return to the primitive is a akin to wanting to return to the womb, roll back the evolutionary clock?

The point is, I want to move forward. I have gone through some changes even since I wrote my last couple posts here.

The monarchy thing may be reactionary to, but in relation to primitivism its progressive.

Just some thoughts. Hope you feel better

8:43 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Hey, I miss reading your blog. When are you gonna post some more?

How's the new job? What is that you do, by the way?

Take care. Hope everything is well.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Archangel said...

Hey Marcy,

Thanks! I've been thinking frequently recently about posting, but I'm sort of without much to say. That's not entirely true, since a handful of times I had something I thought post-worthy, but just haven't been inspired to say it. You may be the impetus I need, though.

And I work at a recycling center, which is a decent job, as far as jobs go, and overall pretty low-stress, so I'm really thankful. It's the same job I've had since I was a student worker, but now in a full-time role with benefits, which is swell.

Anyway, I will get my act together, aiming for sooner, rather than later- thanks for dropping by!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home