Friday, January 19, 2007

It's been a long time...

Long time since I posted, that is. I just haven't felt that I've had much to say or contribute. I often find myself lagging behind the other bloggers in this sphere, like Jason or Ran or Dan. That's ok, though. I don't want to compete much.

Things are pretty uneventful for me. I've been working the grind mostly, though admittedly it's not so much a grind, since I have a pretty good gig. I'm steadily chipping away at my school debt, which stands at just over $6K (USD) at the moment. Since I started paying it back in October, I've paid the money-lenders more than $1K, which, if I continue apace, means I think I can be debt free by 2008.

I found a great site: EarthClinic, which has lots of natural remedies on it. I used some of their suggestions to get over a pernicious sore throat that must've come across the pond from Dan. Took me a full week to get over it 95%, and still working on that last little bit left.

I started doing yoga a couple times a week, after having stopped exercising in early December, right around the time I started eating meat again. It's funny, because I suspect that I could have actually put on some muscle if I'd kept at it, and I may be a little bit with yoga. But I decided that weigth training is a bit too contrived for me at the moment, and I like that yoga, trite as it's become in popular culture, really does feel more holistic, focusing on strength, flexibility and the mind and spirit, rather than trying to force the body into a certain form. I may yet go back, so we'll see.

Cooking is going well- I'm just about there at my goal from a month or so ago of eating 20 of my weekly meals from self-prep, rather than buying pre-made grub. It's funny, because it's a rarity now that I do eat out, and I actively try to avoid it. A good cheap meal at home can usually be had for quickly, and I'd almost always rather do that. I made a sourdough crust for my subsequent pie after last post, which came out alright, but in need of work. The sourdough is good, though, and I just today was offered some 4 1/2 year old rye starter from a local cheese farmer. Also got a cast-iron skillet, uncured, which I've seasoned myself, and which is also great.

I mentioned to Ran that I can sympathize with Loretta's comments in a recent postout about my generation: it's been an active effort on my part to learn basic skills, and though I don't buy into the myth of success in this culture, I've shut down so much that I have a hard time with any delayed gratification, and things not paying off right away. I'm trying to learn to drive, which has been a mixed experience, partly because I have had to fight the urge to quit and not put in the effort, cuz hey- fuck cars. But it's a valid skill that may be useful to have, and which may be necessary for me to stick with my current job.

It all just takes time, I guess, time I (we) may or may not have. But that line of thinking goes nowhere, since we don't really know, and since the likeliest emotion that is to elicit is guilt for not doing the 'right' thing or desapir for the same reason.

Anyway, I hope anyone reading this is doing well. Keep on keeping on, friends.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

time emit you ~ you emit time
time is but the trick of an endless line

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home