Sunday, May 20, 2007

Etc.

I often think of things that I'd like to say here, but forget by the time I get around to writing. I'll hope my keystrokes will spark my memory a bit, though.

One of my favorite primi bloggers pointed out in a post on barefooting that nothing, really nothing in civilization is an improvement on what nature developed. I'm inclined to agree, though the hard-liner in me who's been burned before would temper that a bit. The reason I mention it is because I read a book recently, Living Green, about basic eco practices. It's a fine book for what it's worth, and I like that it drives home the point that not just food but topical products can impact our health. That means sunscreens, shampoos and all the rest. That's something I didn't fully recognize until recently. Now, my natural tendency is to avoid any cosmetic-type product not just because they're wasteful in manufacture, but because they're probably poison.

Anyway, he emphasizes the importance of an organic bed, since we spend so much time on beds, and off-gassing is a huge health concern. I looked into this a bit; organic beds are more than a thousand dollars, and that's probably on the low end of the cost spectrum. Plus organic cotten sheets, pillows and blankets, and now we're talking huge, hefty sums of money. One could make this very expensive investment, or one could start sleeping outside on grass and dirt. It's free, it's good for our immune systems, it's probably better for our backs, and it's better for our breathing, since indoor air pollution is typically worse than outdoor air pollution Once again, wildness is the path of least resistance.

And on the barefooting note, I've been experimenting with that a bit, too. It's fun, though my feet are barely able to deal with it. A little at a time, though. This is another example of wildness and nature being the path of least resistance. Nike has a shoe for runners that mimics not having a shoe at all. Why not skip the middleman?

Another thing I've been doing is not shampooing. My hair actually feels pretty good, though occasionally gets matted together. But it's great. Just give it a good rub down the couple times a week that I shower, and it's all good.

I was speaking to a friend a couple days ago, about what to do about the state of the world. I'm not sure what sort of impact big actions will have, but for me, de-conditioning myself to empire is where it's it. It's fun and personally meaningful. Anything further I think has to stem from that. That exuberant joy I feel about these things is basis of the important aims I have now- learning primitive skills, including the often neglected but absolutely vital interpersonal skills of speaking one's truth and relating to others in deep and true ways, and raising healthy vibrant children. Those are the tasks that speak to me. And I think they're worthwhile.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

I've been tempted to try not shampooing. My current method is to shampoo only every three days.

My problem is that I keep my hair short, and if I don't put gel or mousse in it, I look like a guy. Since I put gel and mousse in it, I feel like I need to wash it.

I do know that there is a negative feedback with skin oils and washing. I have experienced a lessening of the grease when I wash less frequently, but I'm afraid to go all the way and not wash it at all.

I think women are kept to higher grooming standards than man. If my hair was matted together I would probably affect the way people treated me.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Archangel said...

Well, another option might be to use just baking soda for every wash, with apple cider vinegar on each third wash. A friend of mine has been doing that for a couple weeks, and she's reported good results.

I think you're really right about the higher standards for women than men. It seems much less socially acceptable for a woman to be sort of a slob in teh ways that guys can be. It reminds me of a conversation I had once about stereotypes and race. My friend noted that if a white guy is sort of an absentee dad, or is in credit card debt, or gets in trouble with the law, no one really thinks about this as indicative of their race, as they might with a black guy in a similar position.

Anyway, I'm not 'pure.'. I do manual work outside, so I get sweaty and do appreciate a body soap, which I know lots of other folks get along without. But whatever, it's all good.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Oh, I forgot. I wanted to mention something about the ground. Sometimes when I take my dinner break, I'll go outside and sit on the lawn. Yeah, they have picnic tables there for us to sit on, but why? If I'm in a bad mood, I'll go sit on the ground and eat my lunch and knit and feel better.

I have a feeling that because I work evenings, I get away with it b/c no one sees me. If the CEO or someone "important" saw an employee sitting on the grass where people could SEE ME, I'd probably be told about it. I walk around in the grass with my shoes off, too. Mmm, it feels so sensual.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anything in that book about a natural sunblock? I feel the same way as you about those kinds of products, but I have light skin and I got burned yesterday. I gotta put something on.....or just wear a flannel and jeans...

4:46 AM  
Blogger Archangel said...

kyle,

Thanks for stopping by! The most natural sunscreen would probably be mud (natural air conditioner, too). But, since this is probably not possible or socially permissible, they recommend Aubrey's Organics sunscreen as the safest comercially available one available. I bought some of the SPF 25 for this weekened, and it seemed good. Smells like green tea, too, which is nice.

Also: linen. Super comfy and lightweight to wear if you can get your hands on any.

It's good to get sun exposure, just not good to burn. Here's what Mercola says: http://tinyurl.com/2s8frz

Good luck!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree. Civilization is the best system nature has ever developed to make parking lots, for example. And cars. Civilization is good at cars.

I don't think I fit in anymore with the anti-civ crowd. Maybe I never did. I simply don't subscribe to the unquestioned civilization/nature dichotomy.

Devin

11:36 PM  
Blogger Archangel said...

Devin,

That's all fine and good; you don't have to agree with the civilization/nature dichotomy. You and I can argue for days about what that 'unquestioned' dichotomy constitutes, and each have our own definitions about what each of those terms mean, and based on those, they may or may not be dichotomous. Nevertheless, the material reality of what is happening on this planet remains, regardless of what we call it. What any of us do about it is an open question, though.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home